Electroweak

[A symplectic tensor on 2n dimensional pie space]

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cycling

And so today I went cycling for the first time in...oh, a couple of years at least. Perfect day for it; the sun was out, but not over-bright, and there was a brisk breeze winging it's way after me. And, it may be years since my last experience in memory, and I might very well be older now, but it's still a whole lotta fun zipping down a hill and then banking into turn as peddling becomes quite redundant.

More to the point, however, was that there was another meeting at the end of the zipping and the zooming (and the huffing and the puffing...I'm not in the best shape and some of the uphill can be moderately brutal to ol' Peter Banning here). Person I would have liked to get to know better, but ah well.
It did, however, give me a chance to review my faults. Of which there are many; but I never told you that. Go on, continue thinking of me as your demi-god.

For the record, I was actually once called a demi-god. By my own roommate, no less, Vincent-of-the-Scalpel. The event occurred as we strolled back in the late evening from his lab, having deposited some of his stuff and some of my stuff there for the summer. It would have been an arduous experience, lugging each box over to the building in question (it was raining quite heavily at the time), but Vince and I, being the smart cats we are, came up with a plan: Theft. We purloined a trolley-of-sorts that was lying around the lab offices, sneaked it back to the dorm, loading our boxes, and off we went (with a plastic sheet - also 'borrowed' - to keep it all dry). Still, it wasn't the easiest task, what with the rain increasing and the trolley loaded to within an inch of its life. I had never heard Vince curse so. Still, with the aid of a loading mechanism thingy at the lab entrance (also used illicitly), we got the job done. It was THEN, that Sir Vince bestowed upon me the title of demi-god - but not a god, for I had allowed a corner of the Anime box to moisten. Sigh.
I mentioned that "I had never heard Vince curse so". The odd choice of tense is due to the fact that he, in fact, out-did himself the next morning, when we repeated the process - but in heavier rain and with his rather more fragile electronics.

The End.

PS. For the record, napping on the living room couch is great; being awakened by Dave Brubeck's rendition of Take 5 is sublime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home